Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /home3/t2mold/public_html/wp-content/themes/whitelight_completerestoration/functions/admin-hooks.php on line 160

About Mold & its Health Effects

Montana attic mold mitigation

How am I exposed to indoor molds?

Mold is found everywhere, indoors and outdoors. It is common to find mold spores in air inside of homes and growing on damp surfaces. Much of the mold found indoors comes from outdoor sources. Therefore, everyone is exposed to some mold on a daily basis without evident harm.

Mold spores primarily cause health problems when they enter the air and are inhaled in large number. Mold ‘blooms’ outside during damp spring and fall seasons can trigger allergies in many people. People (and pets) can also be exposed to mold through skin contact and eating.

How much mold can make me sick?

It depends. For some people, a relatively small number of mold spores can cause health problems. For other people, it may take many more. The basic rule is, if you can see or smell it, take steps to eliminate the excess moisture, and to cleanup and remove the mold.

Are some molds more hazardous than others?
Allergic persons vary in their sensitivities to mold, both as to amount and type needed to cause reactions. In addition, certain types of molds can produce toxins, called mycotoxins, that the mold uses to inhibit or prevent the growth of other organisms. Mycotoxins are found in both living and dead mold spores. Materials permeated with mold need to be removed or specially treated by specialists, even after they are disinfected with cleaning solutions. Allergic and toxic effects can remain in dead spores. Exposure to mycotoxins may present a greater hazard than that of allergenic or irretentive molds. Mycotoxins have been found and may be present in dangerous quantity within homes, agricultural settings, food, and office buildings. Testing may be required to determine the best course of remediation.

 Who is at greater risk when exposed to mold?

Exposure to mold inside buildings is not healthy for anyone. It is important to quickly identify and correct any moisture sources before health problems develop. The following individuals appear to be at higher risk for adverse health effects of molds:

• Infants and children.
• Elderly
• Immune compromised patients (people with HIV infection, cancer chemotherapy, liver disease, etc.)
• Pregnant women
• Individuals with existing respiratory conditions, such as allergies, multiple chemical sensitivity, and asthma.

People with these special concerns should consult a physician if they are having health problems.

What symptoms are common?

Various allergic reactions may be the most common health problem of mold exposure. Typical symptoms reported (alone or in combination) include:

• Respiratory problems, such as wheezing, and difficulty in breathing.
• Nasal and sinus congestion.
• Eyes-burning, watery, reddened, blurry vision, light sensitivity.
• Dry, hacking cough.
• Sore throat
• Nose and throat irritation
• Shortness of breath
• Skin irritation
• Central nervous system problems (constant headaches, memory problems, and mood changes).
• Aches and pains
• Possible fever

Detecting Mold In Your Home